Life indeed imitates art, especially when Star Wars geeks start drinking.
Arwel Wynne Hughes, a 27-year-old, boozed-up Briton, dressed up like Darth Vader (with a garbage bag cape!) and attacked two members of group known as the Jedi Church.
To appreciate this story, consider how seriously the British are about George Lucas' space saga. In 2001, the United Kingdom listed Jedi as a religion with some 390,000 members -- about 0.7 percent of the population.
Prosecutors say Hughes jumped over the Jedi Church wall and whacked the men with a metal crutch, pretending it was a light saber.
In his defense, Hughes' lawyer says he couldn't remember the incident, having quaffed a 2 1/2-gallon (10-liter) box of wine beforehand and doesn't remember a thing.
A judge sentenced him to two months in jail but suspended the sentence for a year. Of course, in a true Jedi court, Hughes might have been frozen in carbonite and sold off to Jabba the Hutt.
Other Weird News Highlights
- Naked Aggression: Woman mistook nude thief for husband (Nude News) ;
- Occupied: Man says JetBlue made him sit on toilet for three-hour flight to California (Potty Issues);
- Pipe Dream: A Japanese vending machine counts wrinkles on your face to determine if buyers are old enough to smoke (Silly Smokers);
- Long May You Creep: A Spider species is named in honor of Neil Young (Celebrity Stupidity);
- Holly Scabs: A California man believes the Virgin Mary has appeared in his wound (Weird Religion);
- Blind Jaws: An Australian pokes a 12-foot great white shark in the eyes, possibly saving his own life (Man vs. Beast).
Photo © Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images