1. News & Issues
Buck Wolf

Pregnant Man Reportedly Gives Birth

By July 3, 2008

Pregnant Man Thomas Beatie Gives Birth Thomas Beatie, a transgendered man, has given birth to a girl, TMZ.com reports.

Beatie, 34, caused quite a stir when he announced several months ago in The Advocate that he chose to be artificially inseminated after his wife was found to have fertility issues.

When he underwent gender reassignment and legally changed his identity from male to female, he kept his female sex organs.

Beatie told Oprah several weeks after going public that this was the only way for he and his wife to have a child.

Photo © TMZ.com

Comments

July 3, 2008 at 5:24 pm
(1) Yiska says:

Way to go, Thomas! I pray the world treats the baby well and I hope Thomas and his wife have the best of luck. There’s nothing strange in this, to me. If it was the only way for them to have a child, it is their right.

July 3, 2008 at 6:33 pm
(2) wb says:

I wish this baby and this family all good things in life.

But this is a non-story. A person with a working female reproduction system having a baby isn’t news, it’s just natural. If this person had no ovaries or uterus, then it WOULD be news. And it would be VERY good news for all people who either weren’t born with or had malfunctions of their ovaries and/or uterus.

I am supportive of transgendered people. If it was a male-to-female transgendered person who had a baby — THAT would be NEWS! And something millions couples who are infertile would be fascinated to hear about.

July 3, 2008 at 11:10 pm
(3) pat says:

you are not too bright your article states that he went from male to female…WRONG and good for “him” and his wife may the world be a better place for that child

July 3, 2008 at 11:24 pm
(4) Mike says:

I can’t believe this is taken seriously as news or as a big deal. Lets face facts this is just a woman who has mutilated herself to look like a man who happened to decide to have a baby. No big deal at all. It’s not a man having a baby it’s a woman who has had her body altered to look like a man that’s all. Just because we can does not make it right. Aside from that regardless of what I may think of this woman’s choice to be altered to look like a man she is still a woman. I feel for the baby who will grow up in the confused and insecure family.

July 4, 2008 at 2:51 am
(5) Anant says:

Science and Technology has not only brought a revolutionary changes to the technology we use everyday but also has touched our personal life so much,that what we imagine can be made possible.

July 4, 2008 at 5:56 am
(6) Mark says:

This is against the nature and God’s system. Men are created different than women and to complement each other, and no one should take the role of the other being!

July 4, 2008 at 6:50 am
(7) Rosalind says:

I was so confused with the article. The 3rd paragraph should be: When he underwent gender reassignment and legally changed his identity from “FEMALE” to “MALE”, he kept his female sex organs.

July 4, 2008 at 2:33 pm
(8) machinegirl says:

I hope this baby and this family is treated with the RESPECT they deserve. I find this newsworthy because I have been following this story. @MARK – There is no way for anyone to know what “god” “wants”. If you don’t even know these people, who are you to tell them what is natural. personally I think being prejudiced is unnatural. We are born as beings free from prejudice and we then learn it from those around us. I’m sorry that somewhere along the way you learned to hate based on something so arbitrary as gender roles. I hope you can unlearn that and learn to accept people for who they are, not who you think they SHOULD be.

July 4, 2008 at 7:06 pm
(9) Z says:

I think the point that some are making is that, “he” is not the only female that lives as a man as has gotten pregnant. Congradulations to them, but I agree that its not big news. Her body is doing what it was naturally made for. She/He is not the only one to ever get artificially inseminated. But best wishes to the family.

July 4, 2008 at 9:59 pm
(10) epc says:

I find this shocking. Our society is going strait to hell. How can you want to live your life as a man, change your gender surgically, but still desire to give birth to a child? If that is not a confused person breeding, I dont know what is.

July 5, 2008 at 12:35 am
(11) Mamaleria says:

doesn’t anyone find it a little wierd that someone wants to be a man and yet keeps their female sex organs? Female sex organs can have babies… no big surprise… it is the motivation behind it that is confusing.
That being said, a human had a baby. I hope the world gives the baby a shot at normalcy. The baby is innocent.

July 6, 2008 at 5:02 pm
(12) Lou Seymour says:

I don’t think a man with a vagina is really a man.

December 16, 2008 at 4:53 am
(13) Icezik says:

This is unbelievable. God made a path or process in which certains should happen. Women are the compulsory people who gives birth. It is not right for humans to change that process. Does that make us wiser than God? Does it mean we have to power to make the moon shine at morning and sun at night, we would do it? This is not good. That child will be looked upon as a total stranger.

December 16, 2008 at 4:59 am
(14) Icezik says:

This is unbelievable. God made a path or process in which certains should happen. Women are the compulsory people who gives birth. It is not right for humans to change that process. Does that make us wiser than God? Does it mean if we have the power to make the moon shine at morning and sun shine at night, we would do it? This is not good. That child will be looked upon as a total stranger.

December 13, 2010 at 1:12 pm
(15) Maria says:

I think it’s extremely disheartening that people are hiding behind “God” when it comes to this. He was providing a child for his family, and that’s a fantastic thing. This child is better off in a family which is open and understanding, rather than one which is closed minded and dull. I wish that family the best!